October 21, 2018

Maya Myth Moment–How Much Do We Know About Mayan History?

Maya Myth Moment–How Much Do We Know About Mayan History?

Today’s video and Maya Myth Moment include Maya Scholar, Dr. Mark Van Stone, discussing how much we as modern scientists and people actually know and understand about the ancient Maya.

Palenque Palace from plaza in 1888

The Palenque Palace from plaza in 1888. Much of Maya history remains lost in the jungles of Mesoamerica.

If you did a Google search right now, you’d find thousands of websites all purporting to have vast knowledge of the Maya and many/most of them include misstatements about the nutty things that have been attributed to them.

With his book for iPad, Dr. Van Stone, along with the input of 14 other Maya scholars, created the most powerful resource yet assembled on the ancient Maya.  Just visit MVS2012.com and it will take you straight to the iBookstore where you can download the book, see 53 movies, hundreds of photos, diagrams and illustrations, we even put in an interactive puzzle of Tortuguero Monument 6 to make things fun.

Blowing Up The Bible

So how much do we really know about the ancient Maya? We have loved Dr. Van Stone’s analogy since the first time we heard it. Imagine if you took our modern Bible, wrapped it around a grenade, blew it all up and then picked up three scraps of the remaining paper and tried to tell the rest of the world the whole message of Christianity based on those three shreds of paper. Essentially, with just 1 percent of the Maya world uncovered and the remaining 99 percent still hidden in the jungles of Mesoamerica, that’s exactly the situation we have.  This also explains why it’s been so easy for so many to come along and project their beliefs, expectations and assertions onto the Maya.

Enjoy today’s video.  Also visit MVS2012.com to check out Dr. Van Stone’s book for iPad.  It is literally the only one like it in the world.

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Speak Your Mind

*

ChatClick here to chat!+
Read previous post:
Maya Myth Moment–Dr. Mark Van Stone Explains Dec. 21 2012 Facts

Maya Myth Moment--Dr. Mark Van Stone Explains Dec. 21 2012 Facts In today's Maya Myth Moment, we are sharing with...

Close